7/04/2016

Children in bad shape

When I went to the nursery school to pick my 6-year-old daughter up, a teacher came to me and said:

"She has a high fever and is lying in the bed in the teacher's room."

"Really?"

I was surprised because she was as usual this morning.

I took her home, then my 7-year-old son told me:

"Mom, I had a stomach ache and feel sick."

He also had a slight fever.

Since it wasn't during the clinic hours, I called the clinic whether we could see our family doctor.

They accepted our appointment, so I took my children to see the doctor.

On our way to the clinic, my daughter threw up.

After we got to the clinic, the officer told me:

"Please use the room. There is a bed, so they can lie down."


I appreciated their offer.


The doctor came to the room and examined my children.

"I think she has a summer cold. She will recover it for about 2 days."

I was relieved to hear that.

"And he is constipated. We are going to give him an enema from now, so that he will feel better."

After it finished, he said:

"I am hungry!"

I was also relieved.

When we came home, it was already 18:30pm.

My daughter's fever went down this morning.

Maybe she will be able to go to the nursery school today.



Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click the button below and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ



1 comment:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Sorry to hear that your children had a difficult time recently. Enemas are never fun. Hopefully your son wont have to go through that again any time soon. It's normally something you would expect to happen with people nearer our age than your sons. I find that eating lots of little mini shredded wheat tends to help, they are very nice with milk/chocolate and keep the insides moving. Just before I go to bed, I have a mug full with milk and melted chocolate the shredded wheat dissolve into something that is easy to eat. So far I have never had to deal with constipation so I have either been lucky or the shredded wheat seems to do the job. Although generally the Japanese diet is very high in fibre so it is somewhat of a surprise that you get issues such as those there.

    Here is a list of some of the other issues found in the rest of the post:

    This line:
    I was surprised because she was as usual this morning.

    Should be:
    I was surprised because she was (fine/okay/ok/her usual self) this morning.

    Reason: As usual sounds a little odd. Her Usual Self is a common way of phrasing what you want to say in English. Specifically that she was in good health the last time you saw your daughter.

    This line:
    Since it wasn't during the clinic hours, I called the clinic whether we could see our family doctor.

    Should be:
    Since it wasn't during the clinic hours, I called the clinic (to ask/to enquire/to find out/to see) whether we could see our family doctor.

    This line:
    "I think she has a summer cold. She will recover it for about 2 days."

    Should be:
    "I think she has a summer cold. She will recover from it in about 2 days."

    Reason: When you want to say that someone will regain their health after a certain amount of time in English you generally use "XXX (recover from) YYY":

    Examples:

    I have recently had a bad cold I do hope I recover from it quickly.
    Having a cold is always bad for me hopefully I will recover soon.

    Another common way of phrasing it is "XXX will return to health" though it is less common.

    Examples:
    She will be returned to health in about 2 days.
    I hate being ill I wish to return to health quickly.

    This line:
    "And he is constipated. We are going to give him an enema from now, so that he will feel better."

    Should be:
    "And he is constipated. We are going to give him an enema now, so that he will feel better."

    Reason: Changed "from now" to "now" as the from is not needed when you are indicating that something is going to happen right now. There is rare situation when you would use from now. And that is when you want to indicate that something is about to happen right now and that it will be something that is in effect into the future.

    Examples:
    I ate some food which made me ill and so from now on I will not eat that kind of food.
    I dislike doing my taxes, from now on I will get my accountant to do them instead.

    In the above sentences they all indicate that from this point in time and into the future a particular action will be performed.

    If what you wanted to say was that you want to do something right now but that it may not continue into the future you would just use now or some other similar word.

    Examples:
    I will eat this donut now!
    I will talk to the doctor now.
    I was informed that the nurse wants to speak to me now.

    This line:
    When we came home, it was already 18:30pm.

    Should be:
    When we came home, it was already 18:30.

    Reason: When expressing time using the 24 hour clock format you generally don't add the am/pm suffix as it is not needed. As obviously 18:NN is in the evening. You do need the am/pm suffix when using the 12 hour clock format as there the am/pm suffix makes it possible to tell if you are talking about a time in the morning or a time in the evening.

    Note: The above is not a big issue so do not worry about it.

    ReplyDelete