7/27/2016

Going on a date with my son

I had a day off yesterday.

I took my 6-year-old daughter to the nursery school, but my 7-year-old son was at home because he is in the summer vacation now.

Wednesdays during the summer vacation last year were the days I helped him doing homework which needs time to finish like painting, book report, and so on.

So we made a schedule of doing his homework yesterday morning.

After that, we went to the library to return and borrow some books.

Then we watched the movie of "Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone" there,

There are some audiovisual booths in the library and we can borrow DVDs and watch them there.

In fact, he watched part of it at home before, but the recorded video was broken and we couldn't see it to the end.

He was scared of Voldemort, but he enjoyed watching it very much.

After that, we went out for lunch and went shopping.

He was clinging to me than usual.

Maybe he wanted to stick to me because my daughter usually monopolizes me.

He is already 7 years old, but still adorable for me.

He will not go out with me a few years later, so this sweet time with him will be my treasure in the future.

After we came home, I went to the nursery school to pick my daughter up.

My son taught her some incantations he learned in the movie, and they made their wands with disposable chopsticks.

He said proudly:

"Alohomora!"



Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click the button below and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ



2 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    You are right to take all the opportunities to get quality time with your son. You may get lucky however and he may not grow out of being a Mommy's boy but who can tell.

    There are unfortunately no good libraries here, I have to get everything ordered online. Which is no great hardship as I can find just about everything I am interested in reading on the internet.

    Here are a list of issues found with the rest of the post:

    Part 1:

    This line:
    Going on a date with my son

    Reason: Going on a date with someone often but not always implies romantic connotation, but I am assuming you mean it just to be cute/sweet. It is obvious what you mean from context but just in case you are not aware of one of its possible meanings I am mentioning it here. If you want to use a similar phrase without the slight chance of romantic overtones you could reword as:

    Going out and about with my son

    Or:
    Going on a trip with my son

    Or:
    Going on a journey with my son.

    This line:
    I took my 6-year-old daughter to the nursery school, but my 7-year-old son was at home because he is in the summer vacation now.

    Should be:
    I took my 6-year-old daughter to the nursery school, but my 7-year-old son was at home because he is on summer vacation now.

    Reason: Changed "he is in the" to "he is on" as this sounds more natural and grammatically correct. Determining when to use "in" or "on" for phrases relating to vacations is a little hard to explain, but I can give examples:

    Examples:
    When I am in my summer vacation, I will enjoy myself. (wrong - should use "on" not "in")
    When I am on my summer vacation, I will enjoy myself. (correct)
    While I was on my summer vacation is rain constantly. (correct)
    In the middle of my vacation I got food poisoning and was ill for most of it. (correct)
    While on my vacation, half way through I was very ill. (correct)
    My son always gets a little restless in the middle of his vacation time. (correct).
    (On/In) those times when I get vacation time, I enjoy them to the full. (correct).

    This line:
    So we made a schedule of doing his homework yesterday morning.

    Question: In the above sentence did you literally make a schedule which he plans to follow or are you carrying out work that you had previously scheduled. If it is the second option then the sentence would be better written as:
    So we had scheduled time yesterday morning for him to do his homework.

    If you did create a schedule yesterday which he is now doing then your sentence is correct and you can ignore my sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2:

    This line:
    Then we watched the movie of "Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone" there,

    Should be:
    Then we watched the movie "Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone" there.

    Reason: Removed "of" as it is not needed. Also replaced , at end of sentence with a fullstop (period .)

    This line:
    He was clinging to me than usual.

    Should be:
    He was clinging to me (much more/more) than usual.

    Reason: (much more/more) needed to be added to that sentence to make it sound correct and grammatically correct. Using (More/Much more) to indicate that something occurs more often than normal or to a greater extent than is normal is common in English. Here are some example sentences:

    Examples:
    I thrive in stressful situation but this was (more/much more) stressful than I expected.
    I was (more/much more) annoyed at the man than was justified.
    The more he talked the more angry I became.
    My son is much more of a mommy's boy when he wants to be. (Mommy's boy - likes to be close to his mother, the reverse of this is close to his father would be Daddy's boy. There is also Mommy's girl and Daddy's girl used when referring to daughters).

    This line:
    He is already 7 years old, but still adorable for me.

    Should be:
    He is already 7 years old, but still adorable to me.

    Reason: Changed "for" to "to" as this is more grammatically correct.

    This line:
    He will not go out with me a few years later, so this sweet time with him will be my treasure in the future.

    Should be:
    He will not go out with me in a few years, so this sweet time with him I will treasure in the future.

    Reason: Changed "me a few years later" to "me in a few years". Also changed "will be my treasure" to "I will treasure" as it sounds more natural in English.

    ReplyDelete