6/13/2016

An emergency call

While I was working yesterday afternoon, our company's phone rang.

My co-worker answered the call, then she told me:

"It is from your son's elementary school teacher."

"Really? Thank you."

I thought it was an emergency call.

Maybe my 7-year-old son had a fever.

I wondered that he didn't seem unwell when he went to school in the morning.

His teacher said:

"Your son has a fever. It is 37.6 degrees. He has been unwell since morning. Could you please pick him up?"

I asked our team leader whether I could go home, she accepted my offer.

"OK, I will go to school from now, but it will take for about 30 minutes to get to school."

I told the teacher.


I arrived at his school then visited teacher's room.

One of the office clerk took me to his class.

His classmates looked at me all at once enviously when I went to his classroom.

I was surprised that my son was in the classroom and taking the lesson.

I thought he would be waiting for me in the nurse's office.


I said thank you to his teacher and took him home.

I asked my son:

"How are you feeling? Did you feel sick?"

He answered:

"Yeah. I have felt sick since morning. I had a stomachache and headache, I almost threw up."

"Maybe you are tired. Your long sleeve shirt looks hot. Change your cloth into cooler one and take a nap a little."

I told him and spread his futon in the Japanese room.

"OK."

He said and went to the Japanese room.

He took a rest about for 30 minutes, then he came to the living room and said:

"I recovered!"

"So soon?"

I touched his forehead, but it was no longer hot.

"Wow! It is good for you. You didn't catch any colds or infections. You will be able to go to school tomorrow!"

He smiled.

I thought he was only tired and sleepy.

Indeed, he had a slight fever, but maybe it was like a teething fever.

Anyway, it was good for us that he recovered it soon.





Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click the button below and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Sorry for the delay in not responding to posts I have been short of time and my Japanese studies have been falling behind so I limited my internet time so as to get some study completed. I will catch up with the rest of your posts as quickly as I am able.

    I am glad to read that your son was able to quickly recover from his high temperature. I really like the way your school handles child illnesses. Here if a child had a slight temperature nothing would get done but your schools the teachers seem to really be concerned about the children's health. It is fortunate that the people that you work for are always accommodating when you need to deal with child issues.

    Here is a list of some of the issues found in the rest of the post:

    Part 1:

    This line:
    I wondered that he didn't seem unwell when he went to school in the morning.

    Should be:
    I thought that he didn't seem unwell when he went to school in the morning.

    Reason: thought would be used as you were thinking that he did not seem unwell when he went to school. Wondered would be used if you wanted to say that you wondered if he showed signs of illness before he went to school. You could if you wished to keep the word wondered rewrite the sentence as:

    I (wondered/thought) why the school (rang/contacted) me as he didn't seem unwell when he went to school in the morning.

    This line:
    I asked our team leader whether I could go home, she accepted my offer.

    Should be:
    I asked our team leader whether I could go home, she accepted my request.

    Reason: You would use request as you are asking a favour from your superior. You would use offer when you are doing a favour for someone.

    Examples:
    I was eating cake and asked my friend if she would like some, she accepted my offer happily. (The nearest thing I can think of in Japanese is that in this case you are offering down to someone because you are doing something for them which is a benefit to them (the friend). And from the friends perspective she is being offered up to.)

    My friend was eating cake and I asked if I could have some, she accepted my request happily. (In this case you want the favour and your friend will offer down to you (as she is the one doing the favour that benefits you) so request from you would be used.

    In short you usually request when the thing that will happen benefits you. You use Offer when the thing that will happen benefit someone else.

    The above rules are not always consistent so just use them as a guide.

    This line:
    "OK, I will go to school from now, but it will take for about 30 minutes to get to school."

    Should be:
    "OK, I will go to school (right) now, but it will take about 30 minutes."

    Reason: from in "from now" is not needed. The end part of the sentence "to get to school" is also not really needed. Basically because the teacher would already know that you are referring to the school and it would not need to be repeated. It's not as far as I can tell grammatically wrong but it is very repetitive and mechanical sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2:

    This line:
    I arrived at his school then visited teacher's room.

    Should be:
    I arrived at his school then visited the teacher's room.

    Or:
    I arrived at his school and then visited the staff room. (More informal but sounds more natural in English)

    This line:
    One of the office clerk took me to his class.

    Should be:
    One of the office clerks took me to his class.

    Reason: The word clerks would be used as there seems to be more than one clerk which could have taken you to the classroom.

    This line:
    His classmates looked at me all at once enviously when I went to his classroom.

    Question: I am not sure of the meaning of the above sentence do you mean the classmates looked enviously because they knew that you were there to take home your son? Or do you mean that the classmates looked at you enquiringly (wondering why you were there). If the sentence has the second meaning the word enviously would be replaced with enquiringly.

    This line:
    "Yeah. I have felt sick since morning. I had a stomachache and headache, I almost threw up."

    Should be:
    "Yeah. I have felt sick since morning. I had a stomach ache and headache, I almost threw up."

    Reason: Stomach ache is two words not one although you could also use stomach-ache (although I am not sure if that is correct grammatically I have seen it written with the - between the words).

    This line:
    "Maybe you are tired. Your long sleeve shirt looks hot. Change your cloth into cooler one and take a nap a little."

    Should be:
    "Maybe you are tired. Your long sleeve shirt looks hot. Change your clothes into cooler ones and take a little nap."

    Reason: Cloth means a patch of fabric material while clothes are the things you wear. Also the words "take a nap a little" were rearranged into more natural English word order.

    This line:
    Anyway, it was good for us that he recovered it soon.

    Should be:
    Anyway, it was good for us that he recovered so (soon/quickly).

    ReplyDelete