6/16/2016

Our small kitchen garden

My husband's parents are farmer.

My husband didn't like helping their parents as a child.

He and his brother had to weed spacious rice paddy, but they didn't like it.

After they graduated from school, they started working apart from their hometown.

But my husband likes growing vegetables in our small garden.

He never plants flowers, he wants to grow only something to eat.

He said:

"I don't want to be farmer. It is really a hard work. But I like growing vegetables. We can get vegetables to grow them by ourselves cheaper than to buy them at the supermarket. If I grow them in our narrow garden, I can manage it. "

I don't take care of vegetables at all because I have already got a lot on my plate.

I found the cucumber's flowers yesterday evening.

They were yellow and there was a small cucumber under the flower.

It was like a cucumber baby!



"Hey! Come and look at the cucumber! It is like a baby!"

I called my 6-year-old daughter who loves cucumber.

But she didn't come because she wanted to eat snack and it was raining strongly.

My husband also planted bitter melons (Bitter gourd / Goya).



I didn't like its bitter taste before, but now I like it.

It includes rich vitamin C, dietary fiber, calcium, iron and it is said that it can prevent the summer heat.

It is also called "green curtains" because its vines twine around the net and it can be able to block out the sunlight.

I have heard several times from people who grew bitter melons that they could harvest too many bitter melons, so they had to give them to somebody like friend, co-worker, and neighborhood.

But I am looking forward to harvesting them!


Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click the button below and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ



2 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Those Goya bitter melons sound like a very nice fruit. I am a big fan of a fruit that we call Grape Fruit. It is a big yellow ball shaped fruit with a very bitter taste, but it is also very nice to have in summer.

    I hope your harvest is bountiful enough that you are able to give away your excess Goya. Here is a link to what our yellow grape fruit looks like:

    https://goo.gl/C6e0hQ

    Here is a list of some of the other issues in the rest of your post:

    Part 1:

    This line:
    My husband's parents are farmer.

    Should be:
    My husband's parents are farmers.

    Reason: If both the parents are farmers or its a family farming business you would use the plural of farmer. If only one of his parents is a farmer say for example the husband then you could use:

    My husband's father is a farmer.

    This line:
    My husband didn't like helping their parents as a child.

    Should be:
    My husband didn't like helping his parents as a child.

    Reason: Using their in the original sentence makes it sound as if your husband didn't like helping his parents parents (the mother and father of his mother or father).

    This line:
    He and his brother had to weed spacious rice paddy, but they didn't like it.

    Should be:
    He and his brother had to weed (a large/a big/a vast) rice paddy, but they didn't like it.

    Reason: In the context of the sentence you wrote large/big/vast would be more natural.

    Note: Also the original sentence when using spacious was missing an English filler word "a" and would be written as:
    He and his brother had to weed a spacious rice paddy, but they didn't like it.

    Question: Did you choose the word vast because the Kanji for vast in an English translation is shown in dictionaries as Vast, Wide, Spacious? Was there any reason that you did not want to use the Japanese word translation for large/big おきい?. The last point is just out of my own curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2:

    This line:
    After they graduated from school, they started working apart from their hometown.

    Should be:
    After they graduated from school, they started working (away from/outside of/apart from) their hometown.

    Reason: Away from or outside of would sound more natural than using apart from. But as far as I can tell apart from is grammatically correct.

    This line:
    "I don't want to be farmer. It is really a hard work. But I like growing vegetables. We can get vegetables to grow them by ourselves cheaper than to buy them at the supermarket. If I grow them in our narrow garden, I can manage it. "

    Should be:
    "I don't want to be farmer. It is really hard work. But I like growing vegetables. We can get vegetables and grow them by ourselves cheaper than if we (buy/bought) them at the supermarket. If I grow them in our narrow garden, I can manage it."

    Reason: Few missing filler words added to make sentence read more naturally.

    This line:
    I don't take care of vegetables at all because I have already got a lot on my plate.

    Should be:
    I don't take care of the vegetables at all because I have already got a lot on my plate.

    Reason: Added missing filler word.

    This line:
    I found the cucumber's flowers yesterday evening.

    Reason: If you mean that you had noticed that the cucumber had flowered then you would say:
    I noticed that the cucumber's had flowered yesterday evening.

    This line:
    But she didn't come because she wanted to eat snack and it was raining strongly.

    Should be:
    But she didn't come because she wanted to eat (a snack/her snack) and it was raining strongly.

    This line:
    It includes rich vitamin C, dietary fiber, calcium, iron and it is said that it can prevent the summer heat.

    Should be:
    It (is rich in/has large amounts of) vitamin C, dietary fiber, calcium, iron and it is said that it can keep you cool in the summer heat.

    This line:
    It is also called "green curtains" because its vines twine around the net and it can be able to block out the sunlight.

    Should be:
    It is also called "green curtains" because its vines twine around in a net shape and it is able to block out the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete