6/15/2016

Word play in Japanese

When we were taking a bath, my 6-year-old daughter imitated that Rafiki,which is the name of mandrill in the movie "Lion King",  is meditating.

"Rafiki was doing like that, Mom."

She told me making circles with her thumbs and index fingers like Rafiki.

"Do you know the name of the act?"

I asked her.

"I don't know."

"It is called meditation. When we visited the temple of Nagano during our family trip last month, one of the international students from Tibet explained what is meditation to us. Do you remember?"

"Was that so?"

She didn't remember about it.

I continued:

"If you are thinking about something, for example, you hope the girl who you like also like you while meditation, it is not meditation, it is delusion!"

My 7-year-old son who was listening to our conversation said:

"In the movie, the stampede of gnus broke out, then they ran away. didn't they? And we watched Lion King broadcasted on TV the other day!"

I was amazed to hear what he said.


"Meditation" is called  瞑想(めいそう) (meisou) in Japanese.

"Delusion" is called 妄想(もうそう)(mousou) in Japanese.

"Stampede" is called  暴走(ぼうそう)(bousou) in Japanese.

"run away" is called 逃走(とうそう)(tousou) in Japanese.

"broadcast" is called 放送(ほうそう)(housou) in Japanese.


He made rhyming sentences by himself!

I was surprised that his vocabularies are increasing.

He likes reading books and comics.

I think maybe it is good for him to have opportunities to encounter new words.




Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click the button below and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


2 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    I have seen videos of Japanese people doing Japanese tongue twisters. I find it very difficult to even hear the difference between them when they are spoken aloud but it is a good way to pickup new words, it work well for English words also.

    I must be one of the only people to not like Lion King and so I had to look up who Rafiki was.

    Here is a list of other issues found in your post:

    This line:
    When we were taking a bath, my 6-year-old daughter imitated that Rafiki,which is the name of mandrill in the movie "Lion King", is meditating.

    Should be:
    When we were taking a bath, my 6-year-old daughter imitated the character Rafiki, which is the name of the mandrill baboon in the movie "Lion King", which was meditating.

    Reason: A few extra filler words added and added clarification of what a mandrill is.

    This line:
    "It is called meditation. When we visited the temple of Nagano during our family trip last month, one of the international students from Tibet explained what is meditation to us. Do you remember?"

    Should be:
    "It is called meditation. When we visited the temple of Nagano during our family trip last month, one of the international students from Tibet explained what meditation is to us. Do you remember?"

    Or:
    "It is called meditation. When we visited the temple of Nagano during our family trip last month, one of the international students from Tibet explained what meditation is. Do you remember?"

    This line:
    "If you are thinking about something, for example, you hope the girl who you like also like you while meditation, it is not meditation, it is delusion!"

    Reason: The sentence above is a little confusing do you mean:
    "If you are thinking about something, for example, you hope the girl who you like also likes you, then you are in meditation even if she doesn't in which case it is a delusion!"

    Note: In English you can sometimes use the word meditation as a substitute for the word think/thinking.

    For example:
    I began thinking about what I would prepare for evening meal.
    I began meditating about what I would prepare for evening meal.

    Though generally the word meditation should be use only when referring to the act of doing restful poses and special breathing techniques that most people associate with the act of meditation.

    This line:
    "In the movie, the stampede of gnus broke out, then they ran away. didn't they? And we watched Lion King broadcasted on TV the other day!"

    Should be:
    "In the movie, the stampede of gnus broke out, then they ran away. didn't they? And we watched Lion King broadcast on TV the other day!"

    This line:
    I was surprised that his vocabularies are increasing.

    Could be written as:
    I was surprised that his (vocabulary/vocabularies) are increasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops the very last line in my corrections that says:

    I was surprised that his (vocabulary/vocabularies) are increasing.

    Should be:
    I was surprised that his (vocabulary is/vocabularies are) increasing.

    ReplyDelete