1/17/2016

An adorable misunderstanding

My husband took my 7-year-old son to the clinic and I took my 5-year-old daughter to the music school Saturday morning.

His doctor wrote a the certificate of recovery from Infectious Disease for him, it means he can go to school from Monday!

We went to Sushiro, one of the famous sushi-go-round restaurants for lunch.

We enjoyed eating Sushi.

Since my husband went to work after lunch, my children and I went to the library.

On my way there, My son told my daughter:

"We bought Jyoa for you at the clinic!"

It is a drinkable yogurt and they like it very much becaue they have drunk it at the nursery school.

Since there is a vending machine including it at the clinic, whenever we go to the clinic, I buy it for my children.



My daughter looked at Jyoa and said:

"It says Sashiro!"

 
"Sashiro???  What's Sashiro? Do you mean it says Sushiro(the name of the sushi-go-round restaurant where we went for lunch)? "

My son and I didn't understand what she wanted to say.

After a while, he and I realized what she said.

"You mean, さしぐち(Sashiguchi), right?

 ロ of Katakana and 口 of Kanji look similar, but they are completely different.

 口 is pronounced as くち(Kuchi)!"



さしぐち(Sashiguchi) means the pouring port of the straw.

She can read Hiragana and a few Katakana now,but she can't read Kanji.

She read さし口 (sashiguchi) with さしろ(sashiro) by mistake.

Since it was right after we went to Sushiro, we mistook さしろ for スシロー(Sushiro).

We laughed together.

It takes a long time to learn a language.


Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


3 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Another good post, not serious errors. The things I did find are listed below:

    This line:
    My husband took my 7-year-old son to the clinic and I took my 5-year-old daughter to the music school Saturday's morning.

    Should be:
    My husband took my 7-year-old son to the clinic and I took my 5-year-old daughter to the music school Saturday morning.

    This line:
    We went to Sushiro, one of the famous sushi-go-round restaurant for lunch.

    Should be:
    We went to Sushiro, one of the famous sushi-go-round restaurants for lunch.

    This line:
    ロ of Katakana and 口 of Kanji look same, but they are completely different.

    Should be:
    ロ of Katakana and 口 of Kanji look similar, but they are completely different.

    This line:
    口 is pronanuced as くち(Kuchi)!"

    Should be:
    口 is pronounced as くち(Kuchi)!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry.
      Thank you for helping me always.
      I have corrected them.

      It was really difficult to explain the difference bettween ロ(ろ)and 口(くち)!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kumi-san,

    Yes the Kanji for the two different readings do look very similar. It also makes a big difference depending on the style of font that is used to display the Kanji.

    I have my web browser set to use a specific font when displaying Japanese specifically because I have to force it to use a very clear and simple to interpret Kanji font. The more cursive and hand written Kanji font styled I still find very difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete