1/21/2016

The winning numbers of the New Year's postcard lottery of this year

Since I forgot to check the winning numbers of the New Year's postcard lottery for this year, I checked them last evening.

My 7-year-old son said:

"Maybe we will not win in the lottery at all."

My 5-year-old daughter said:

"I hope we will win something in the lottery."

It was funny that their characters were completely different even though they were siblings.

I checked all numbers on the postcards we got.

"Wow! The card from your teacher won the third prize! "

I told my 7-year-old son.

He was so surprised to hear that and came to me saying:

"Really? What will I get?"

"A stamp sheet with a monkey drawn on it which is this year's Chinese zodiac including an 82 yen stamp for an envelope and a 52yen stamp for a postcard."

"Yes! I did it! I won the prize! I won the prize! You must envy me!"

"I envy you..."

My 5-year-old daughter said while playing the Electone (an electronic organ by YAMAHA).

"Why don't you tell your teacher about it tomorrow? Maybe she will be happy to hear that."

"Yeah, OK!"



The prizes are changed every year.

The six digit numbers are written at the bottom right of each New Year's postcard, and we check the winning numbers which are announced by the Japan Post corporation.

The first prize of this year is a choice.

You can choose any one item from cash 100,000yen, an invitation to traverl around Japan, 40V inch 4K TV, Cooking Appliances sets, a tablet computer and a printer, a vacuum cleaner set, or Nintendo games and massage equipment set.

The second prize is also multiple choice.

You can choose one of various kinds of food and homeware gifts.


I look forward to checking the number every year, but I have won only the stamp sheet so far.

I wish someone whom I sent a New Year's card to or my family members will win the first prize someday!



Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


2 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    We have the lottery here but it is generally just run by big business and is not really a fair lottery so I do not play it. The prizes are sometimes very large. Unfortunately often the people who win do not realize they have won and don't claim their prize. This year someone won 33 million pounds (roughly 5557166070.31 yen as currently one British pound is equal to 168 yen) and has not claimed their prize. So I think the lottery is dishonest as it should tell the people that win so they can claim.

    Your lottery sounds much fairer and honest, as the post office seems a more honest organization.

    Here are some of the issues I found while reading the post:

    This line:
    Since I forgot to check the winning numbers of the New Year's postcard lottery of this year, I checked them last evening.

    Should be:
    Since I forgot to check the winning numbers of the New Year's postcard lottery for this year, I checked them last evening.

    This line:
    I checked all numbers of the postcards we got.

    Should be:
    I checked all numbers on the postcards we got.

    This line:
    "A stamp sheet drawn a monkey which is this year's Chinese zodiac including 82 yen stamp for an envelope and 52yen stamp for a postcard."

    Should be:
    "A stamp sheet with a monkey drawn on it which is this year's Chinese zodiac including an 82 yen stamp for an envelope and 52yen stamp for a postcard."

    This line:
    "Yes! I did it! I won the prize! I won the prize! You must be envy me!"

    Should be:
    "Yes! I did it! I won the prize! I won the prize! You must (envy/be envious of) me!"

    This line:
    "Why don't you tell about it to your teacher tomorrow? Maybe she will be happy to hear that."

    Should be:
    "Why don't you tell your teacher about it tomorrow? Maybe she will be happy to hear that."

    This line:
    The six digit numbers are written at the bottom right of each New Year's postcard, and we check the winning numbers which are announced from the Japan Post corporation.

    Should be:
    The six digit numbers are written at the bottom right of each New Year's postcard, and we check the winning numbers which are announced by the Japan Post corporation.

    This line:
    The first prize of this year is selective.

    Should be:
    The first prize for this year is a (choice/multiple choice).

    This line:
    You can choose any one item from cash 100,000yen, an invitation of domestic travelling, 40V inches 4K TV, Cooking Appliances sets, a tablet computer and a printer, a vacuum cleaner set, or Nintendo games and massage equipments set.

    Should be:
    You can choose any one item from cash of 100,000yen, an invitation to travel around Japan, 40 inch 4K TV, Cooking Appliances sets, a tablet computer and a printer, a vacuum cleaner set, or Nintendo games and massage equipment set.

    Reason: In the above sentence I changed a few things but the main thing I want to highlight is that I changed the world inches to inch. The reason is that even though there are multiple inches in the size of the tv when you refer to sizes of things like screens you use the singular form most of the time for example:

    40 inch tv
    12 inch waist band

    This line:
    The second prize is also selective.

    Should be:
    The second prize is also multiple choice.

    This line:
    You can choose one from various kinds of food and living ware gifts.

    Should be:
    You can choose one of various kinds of foods and (homeware/houseware) gifts.

    This line:
    I look forward to checking the number every year, but I had won only the stamp sheet so far.

    Should be:
    I look forward to checking the number every year, but I have only won the stamp sheet so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry.
      I didn't know how to express how big TV is.
      I have a lot of things that I don't know.
      Please help me from now on!

      Delete