1/10/2016

The terrible flu

My 7-year-old son had had a fever since midnight Saturday.
His fever fell down to about 37.3 degrees yesterday morning, so our family went to the car dealer for the periodic maintenance check of our cars.

My son and I went to bed at 7:30pm, but he woke me up at 1am.

"Mom, it's too hot! and I have a sore throat."

I touched him and he was very hot.

His fever was 38.8 degrees.

"Do you want something to drink?"

I brought a cup of water to him.

He drank it and tried to sleep, but his fever was getting higher and higher and he seemed not to be able to fall asleep.

I kept patting his back and cooling his forehead with a wet cool towel.

His fever finally reached nearly 40 degrees around 2pm.

He looked so painful.

I suspected that his fever was due to the flu.

But I was surprised as to whether the flu of this year was so strong because my children and I already had got the flu shot last November.

After all this my son and I got hardly any sleep after 1pm.

Since today is a national holiday in Japan, most of hospitals and clinics are closed.

So I decided to take him to the holiday emergency clinic.

He took the flu test and was diagnosed with the flu by the doctor.

He got medicines and came home.

After he had the medicine, he finally could fall asleep and he is still sleeping now.

I am relieved that the cause of his fever could be figured out.

He must not go to school at least for this week, but he will be able to recover the flu by the end of this week.

My job is now in the busiest month of the year, so I couldn't take a day off tomorrow.

So my husband will stay with him tomorrow morning.

I asked my boss to take a half day off tomorrow, and I will take care of him tomorrow afternoon.

I really hope that my 5-year-old daughter will not catch the flu from him.



  
  Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ

  

3 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Sorry to hear that your son is having such a hard time with flu. It's never fun to get flu even for adults and for children it can often be especially difficult. I hope he is able to recover quickly.

    Here is a list of some of the issue found while reading the article:

    This line:
    My 7-year-old son had had a fever since Saturday's midnight.

    Should be:
    My 7-year-old son had had a fever since midnight Saturday.

    This line:
    His fever fell down about 37.3 degrees yesterday morning, so our family went to the car dealer for the periodic maintenance check of our cars.

    Should be:
    His fever fell down to about 37.3 degrees yesterday morning, so our family went to the car dealer for the periodic maintenance check of our cars.

    Reason: added to, otherwise you are very close to saying his temperature dropped by 37.3 degrees, which clearly is not what you wanted to say.

    This line:
    He drank it and tried to sleep, but his fever was getting higher and higher and he seemed not be able to fall asleep.

    Should be:
    He drank it and tried to sleep, but his fever was getting higher and higher and he seemed not to be able to fall asleep.

    This line:
    I kept patting his back and cooling his forehead with wet cool towel.

    Should be:
    I kept patting his back and cooling his forehead with a wet cool towel.

    This line:
    But I was surprised whether the flu of this year was so strong because my children and I already had got the flu shot last November.

    Should be:
    But I was surprised as to whether the flu of for year was so strong because my children and I already had got the flu shot last November.

    This line:
    After all, my son and I could hardly sleep after 1pm.

    Should be:
    After all this my son and I got hardly any sleep after 1pm.

    This line:
    So I decided to take him to the holiday emergency clinic.

    Question: Is Holiday emergency clinic the same as Accident and Emergency (A and E) hospitals?

    This line:
    He took the flu test and was diagnosed with the flu by a doctor.

    Should be:
    He took the flu test and was diagnosed with the flu by the doctor.

    This line:
    He must not go to school at least within this week, but he will be able to recover the flu at the end of this week.

    Should be:
    He must not go to school at least for this week, but he will be able to recover from the flu by the end of this week.

    This line:
    So my husband will stay with him tomorrow's morning.

    Should be:
    So my husband will stay with him tomorrow morning.

    This line:
    I asked my boss to take a half day off tomorrow, and I will take care of him tomorrow's afternoon.

    Should be:
    I asked my boss to take a half day off tomorrow, and I will take care of him tomorrow afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry!

      I really appriciate you, you always take your time to teach me issues.

      Question: Is Holiday emergency clinic the same as Accident and Emergency (A and E) hospitals?

      I think it is a little different.
      Clinics and hospitals in Japan are usually closed on Sudays and national holidays.
      Holiday emergency clinics are established by each cities, so that citizens can see doctors on Sudays and national holidays.
      But they are not established every city, it depends on city.

      Delete
    2. Ah I think I understand now, thankyou Kumi-san.

      Delete