1/13/2016

Displeased my son

My 7-year-old son's fever completely went down yesterday's morning.

But he can't go to school until Friday by the rules of School Health Law.

Since I had a day off yesterday, we stayed home all the day.

He watched TV then we went to our garden and basked in the sun because it was a really warm and nice day.

He played a game using my iPad after that, then we had lunch.

He watched TV a little in the afternoon, but he suddenly was in bad mood.

"Oh, I am tired of watching TV. I have eye strain. I am bored! I have nothing to do. What am I supposed to do now, Mom?"

"How about drawing?"

"No, my hands are tired."

"Then how about playing Lego or LaQ (blocks)? Why don't we read a book together? Or do you want to go outside the house? Do you want to play Sugoroku again? Do you want to have snacks?"

"No! No! I don't want to do anything!"

"Then you think for yourself. I don't have any other ideas."

"OK. I will do this."

He started breaking my 5-year-old daughter's block work saying, "Mom, what am I supposed to do next?"

"I don't know! Think for yourself!"

I was also irritated by him.

I understood his feelings.

"You are frustrated because you can't go out, aren't you?"

"No! I don't want to go out!"

I was so annoyed by him that I went out of the living room because I wanted to be separated from him.

After a while, he came to me and said:

"I want to play hide and seek."

I still felt impatient with him, but I thought I needed to calm down.

"OK!"

We enjoyed playing it.

Then I went to the nursery school to pick my 5-year-old daughter up.

After we came home, my son said,

"I want to play "The Game of Life".

It is very poplular board game in Japan.

It is a Sugoroku, we can experience verious kinds of life events through the game.

We need to pay if we buy something, go abroad, buy a fire & car & life insurance, and so on, and we can get married and have babies in the game.

We started playing it, but it was the beginning of the storm.

My son often stopped his piece on the spaces where he needed to pay money.

He got grumpy.

My daughter started crying because her piece stopped on the space and it said :

"Your house burned down because of fire, If you bought a fire insurance, you can get $20,000."

"My house burned down! And I don't have a fire insurance! "

She cried bitterly.

The game ended at 6pm and it was usually the time to start dinner, but I had not started cooking yet because of the game.

The winner was my daughter, but nobody looked happy.

"I want to play it again! I want to win!"

My son said.

"No way! Who on earth will make dinner for you?"

"We will help you!"

They said, but I didn't want to listen to them anymore because I was really tired of their bad mood.

I really want to go back to our normal routine.


Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


3 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Interesting read, it's insightful to see that board games even in Japan also cause fights and bad moods. That's what I tend to stick to listening to audiobooks and podcast for relaxation.

    Here is a list of some of the issues I found in the post:

    This line:
    But he should not go to school until Friday by the School Health Law.

    Should be:
    But he will not go to school until Friday by the rules of School Health Law.

    This line:
    He watched TV a little in the afternoon, but he suddenly became in bad mood.

    Should be:
    He watched TV a little in the afternoon, but he suddenly was in a bad mood.

    This line:
    "Oh, I am tired of watching TV. I have eye strain. I am boring! I have nothing to do. What am I supposed to do from now, Mom?"

    Should be:
    "Oh, I am tired of watching TV. I have eye strain. I am bored! I have nothing to do. What am I supposed to do now, Mom?"

    This line:
    "Then how about playing Lego or LaQ (blocks)? Why don't you reading a book together? Or do you want to go outside the house? Do you want to play Sugoroku again? Do you want to have snacks?"

    Should be:
    "Then how about playing Lego or LaQ (blocks)? Why don't we read a book together? Or do you want to go outside the house? Do you want to play Sugoroku again? Do you want to have snacks?"

    This line:
    I was also irritated to see him.

    Should be:
    I was irritated by him.

    This line:
    I understood his feeling.

    Should be:
    I understood his feelings.

    This line:
    I was so annoyed him that I went out of the living room because I wanted to separate from him.

    Should be:
    I was so annoyed (at/by) him that I went out of the living room because I wanted to be separate from him.

    This line:
    We need to pay if we buy something, go abroad, buy a fire & car & life insurance, and so on, and we can get married and have babies in the game.

    Should be:
    We need to pay if we buy something, go abroad, buy fire, car & life insurance, and so on, and we can get married and have babies in the game.

    This line:
    We started playing it, but it was the begining of the storm.

    Should be:
    We started playing it, but it was the beginning of the storm.

    This line:
    My son often stopped his piece on the spaces where needed to pay money.

    Should be:
    My son often stopped his piece on the spaces where he needed to pay money.

    This line:
    My daugheter started crying because her piece stopped the space and it said :

    Should be:
    My daughter started crying because her piece stopped on the space that said :

    This line:
    "Your house burned out for fire, If you bought a fire insurance, you can get $20,000."

    Should be:
    "Your house (burned down because of/was destroyed by) fire, If you bought a fire insurance, you can get $20,000."

    This line:
    "My house burned out! And I don't have a fire insurance!"

    Should be:
    "My house burned down! And I don't have a fire insurance!"

    This line:
    The winner was my daughter, but nobody looked fun.

    Should be:
    The winner was my daughter, but nobody looked (happy/to be having fun).

    This line:
    I really want to go back to our normal days.

    Should be:
    I really want to go back to our normal routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry!

      I think that this issue is a little different from what I wanted to say.

      This line:
      But he should not go to school until Friday by the School Health Law.

      Should be:
      But he will not go to school until Friday by the rules of School Health Law.


      I wanted to say that he can't go to school/he must not go to school /he is forbiden to go to school until Friday by by the rules of School Health Law.
      If you have ideas about this, could you give me an advice?

      Delete
  2. Hi Kumi-san,

    To make it more explicit/clear that he must not go to school until Friday as mandated/decreed by School Health Law, I would use the following sentence:

    He will (not be able to go to/be forbidden from going to) school until Friday as this is (decreed/mandated/laid down/set out) by School Health Law.

    You could also say:

    But he will not be allowed to go to school until Friday as mandated by School Health Law.

    In the original sentence I used the word rules. Rules can translate to meaning laws.

    Hope this helps, if I misunderstand then please let me know.

    ReplyDelete