1/06/2016

Language test

My seven-year-old son asked me yesterday:

"What does Otome (maiden) mean?"

"Otome? Well, it means young girls, maybe about from10 to 20-year-old girls. Do you find the word in the comic?"

"Yes."

He often asks me the meaning of the words which he doesn't know.

Other than that, he asked me Simei-tehai (fugitive warrant) yesterday.

He can read books by himself if there are Furigana above the Kanji which indicate how the Kanji sound.

 
But he still has a lot of words which he doesn't understand the meanings.
 
He sometimes misunderstands the meaning of Japanese idioms.
 
For example, I told him before:
 
"I want to fly there."
 
It means I want to go there as soon as possible, but he asked me:
 
"Do you really fly to the sky? How?"
 
It was so funny that my husband and I couldn't stop laughing on hearing that.
 
It takes a long time to master a language even if we are native speakers of it.
 
Whenever I answer his question, I feel like taking a test of Japanese language.
 
It is a little difficult to explain so that children can understand, I need to chose the simple and plain words.
 
But I think that it is also a good opportunity to  acquire Japanese language skills.
 
 
 
Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ

  

5 comments:

  1. I appericiated your efford. Remember we learn from mistake that we made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appericiated your efford. Remember we learn from mistake that we made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kumi-san,

    As always, another interesting read. Sounds like your sound is having a lot of fun reading.

    Here is a list of some of the issues found with the article.

    This line:
    He can read books by himself if there are Hiragana which how to read above Kanji.

    Should be:
    He can read books by himself if there are (Hiragana/Furigana) above the Kanji which indicate how the Kanji sound.

    This line:
    For exabple, I told him before:

    Should be:
    For example, I told him before:

    This line:
    It was so funny that my husband and I couldn't stop laughing to hear that.

    Should be:
    It was so funny that my husband and I couldn't stop laughing on hearing that.

    This line:
    When I answer his question, I feel like taking a test of Japanese language.

    Should be:
    When I answered his question, I felt like I was taking a test on the Japanese language.

    This line:
    But I think that it is also a good opportunity to re-recognize Japanese language skills.

    Should be:
    But I think that it is also a good opportunity to acquire Japanese language skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry.

      Only this part, it is a little different from what I wanted to say, so I tried to correct it.

      This line:
      When I answer his question, I feel like taking a test of Japanese language.

      Should be:
      When I answered his question, I felt like I was taking a test on the Japanese language.

      My new sentence:
      Whenever I answer his question, I feel like taking a test on the Japanese language.

      How about this one?

      Delete
  4. Hi Kumi-san,

    Yes your new sentence is much clearer in expressing what you wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete