12/12/2015

A frightening experience

My family participated in a training session of the disaster prevention for families, held by the city fire station yesterday.

The firefighters showed participants a demonstration of the fire caused from Tempura oil and electricity, and they lectured us on how to extinguish the fire.

We were shown how to use a fire extinguisher and how to evacuate from the smoke of fire, and we tried them in practice.

My 6-year-old son enjoyed these practises very much but my 5-year-old daughter was scared of the fire.

At the end of the training session, we had a rare opportunity to ride the earthquake experience car.




My husband had experienced it once before, but it was the first experience for me and my children.

My daughter had told me that she didn't want to ride it because she was scared of it ever since applying for the training session.

"No! I am scared! I am going to wait for you here."

Since she refused to ride the car consistently, I got into the car with my son and my husband.

There was a room inside the truck and it looked like a dining room of ordinary home.

We experienced a simulated earthquake of magnitude 7 on the Japanese scale, which is the same magnitude as the Great East Japan Earthquake.

It was terrible and fierce.

I had to hold tight to the leg of the desk.

I thought that most of the furniture in my house would fall down.

When the earthquake experience ended, I was stunned by the frightening experience.

My son told me:

"It was fun!"

But it was NOT fun for me.

It was shocking to realize that a lot of people experienced such a terrible earthquake in reality.

Such a situation is considered to be a matter of life and death.

It was a thought-provoking experience for me.



Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


2 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Very interesting post. I am glad we don't have to deal with earthquakes here in England. Still I hope you are in an area that does not often suffer large earthquakes often.

    List of small issues found:

    This line:
    My family participated in the training session of the disaster prevention for families held by the city fire station yesterday.

    Should be:
    My family participated in a training session for disaster prevention for families, held by the city fire station yesterday.

    This line:
    The firefighters showed participants the experiment of the fire caused of Tempura oil and the electricity , and they lectured us on how to extinguish the fire.

    Should be:
    The firefighters showed participants a demonstration of the fire caused from Tempura oil and electricity, and they lectured us on how to extinguish the fire.

    This line:
    We also experienced how to use the fire extinguisher and how to evacuate from the smoke of fire.

    Should be:
    We were shown how to use a fire extinguisher and how to evacuate from the smoke of fire.

    This line:
    My 6-year-old son enjoyed them very much but my 5-year-old daughter was scared of the fire.

    Should be:
    My 6-year-old son enjoyed the demonstrations very much but my 5-year-old daughter was scared of the fire.

    This line:
    My daughter had told me that she doesn't want to ride it because she was scared of it since I applied for the training session.

    Should be:
    My daughter had told me that she didn't want to ride it because she was scared of it ever since appling for the training session.

    This line:
    Since she refused to ride the car consistently, I got into the car only in three people of my son, my husband and me.

    Should be:
    Since she refused to ride the car consistently, I got into the car with my son and my husband.

    Reason: Since you already mentioned that you got in the car you don't need to say and me at the end.

    This line:
    There was the room inside the truck and it looked like a dining room of ordinary homes.

    Should be:
    There was a room inside the truck and it looked like a dining room of an ordinary home.

    This line:
    We experienced on the japanese scale of 7, which is totally same as the Great East Japan Earthquake.

    Should be:
    We experienced a simulated earthquake of magnitude 7 on the Japanese scale, which is the same magnitude as the Great East Japan Earthquake.

    This line:
    I had to hold fast to the desk leg under the desk.

    Should be:
    I had to hold tight to the leg of the desk.

    This line:
    I was shocked that a lot of people experienced such a terrible earthquake in reality.

    Should be:
    It was shocking to realize that a lot of people experienced such a terrible earthquake in reality.

    This line:
    It was a situation that is considered to be a matter of life and death.

    Should be:
    Such a situation is considered to be a matter of life and death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Terry!
    This article was so difficult for me to write.
    It took more than one and a half hours to write it because I didn't know the vocabrary related to the disaster.

    This line is just I wanted to write : We experienced a simulated earthquake of magnitude 7 on the Japanese scale, which is the same magnitude as the Great East Japan Earthquake.

    I can understand the meaning of the sentence, but it is still difficult to explain it in English.

    I really appriciate your help.
    Thank you so much!



    ReplyDelete