12/11/2015

Santa's conference

When I take a lunch break, I always enjoy talking with my colleagues while eating the lunchbox.

Our topic during lunch time was how not to be noticed by our children when putting the Christmas presents near their pillows.

Last year, it was hard to place their presents without being noticed by them.

They were so exited and couldn't fall asleep.

 I went and slept first, but I also couldn't sleep because I had to finish my duty.

 Mistakes would be unacceptable because I didn't want to shatter their dreams.

They believe in Santa Claus.

 Then my son noticed the present in midnight and he wanted to get up.

 I had to let him fall asleep again.

 I was so tired!

(Our last year's Christmas Eve : http://a-o-j-m.blogspot.jp/2014/12/merry-christmas-my-son-cant-wait-for.html )

One of my colleagues answered my question.

"You should put their presents under the Christmas tree.

 In my family's case, I told my children that I leave the lights of the Christmas tree on at the night
 of Christmas Eve, so Santa Claus will know where he should put the presents.

 There is a Christmas tree in the living room, so it isn't hard to put them there."

Other colleagues also agreed with her way.

"What a good idea!
 
 My parents used to put presents for me near my pillow, but your way is better than mine.

  It is easy for Santa Claus!"

I also told them how I buy their Christmas presents.

Since I wanted to consider what the best present for them, I ordered them on the internet.

But it is difficult for me to decide how I should revieve them.

When the delivery man comes to our house, my children are interested in what has been sent.

So I used the service for receiving the packages at the convenience store since last year.

It was very convenient, I could get them without being noticed by my children.

The other colleague said she bought presents at the toy store while her children were at school
and stashed them away until Christmas.


All of my colleagues are mothers who have older children than me.

They know a lot of things about children, so I often consult with them about my children.


 

Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ

3 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san sounds like a fun christmas tradition. We tended to do the present giving under the tree also when I was a child.

    Here is the small issues found:

    This line:
    "Last year, it was hard to put their presents not to be noticed by them.

    Should be:
    Last year, it was hard to place their presents without being noticed by them.

    Note: The " doesn't need to be there it is only used when you want to indicate someone saying something.

    This line:
    They were so exited and couldn't fall asleep soon.

    Should be:
    They were so exited and couldn't fall asleep.

    This line:
    I went to slept first, but I also couldn't sleep well because I had to finish my duty.

    Should be:
    I went and slept first, but I also couldn't sleep because I had to finish my duty.

    This line:
    No mistake was unacceptable because I didn't want to break their dreams.

    Should be:
    Mistakes would be unacceptable because I didn't want to shatter their dreams.

    This line:
    Then my son noticed the present in midnight and he wanted to wake up.

    Should be:
    Then my son noticed the present at midnight and he wanted to get up.

    This line: Doesn't need the "
    I was so tired!"

    This line:
    One of my colleague answered my question.

    Should be:
    One of my colleagues answered my question.

    This line:
    In my family's case, I told my children that I leave the lights of the Christmas tree on at the night of Christmas Eve, so Santa Claus can know where he should put the presents.

    Should be:
    In my family's case, I told my children that I leave the lights of the Christmas tree on for the night of Christmas Eve, so Santa Claus will know where he should put the presents.

    This line:
    There is a Christmas tree in the living room, so it isn't hard to put them."

    Should be:
    There is a Christmas tree in the living room, so it isn't hard to put them there."

    This line:
    Other colleagues also agreed with her way.

    Should be:
    My colleagues also agreed with her way.

    This line:
    I also told them how to buy their Christmas presents.

    Should be:
    I also told them how I buy their Christmas presents.

    This line:
    Since I wanted to consider which is the best present for them, I ordered them on the internet.

    Should be:
    Since I wanted to consider what the best presents for them would be, I ordered them on the internet.

    This line:
    But it is difficult when I should revieve them.

    Should be:
    But it is difficult for me to decide how I should receive them.

    This line:
    So I used the service of receiving the package at the convenience store since last year.

    Should be:
    So I used a service for receiving the packages at the convenience store (since/as of) last year.

    This line:
    The other colleague said she bought the presents at the toy store during her children went to school and stash them away until Christmas.

    Should be:
    The other colleague said she bought presents at the toy store while her children were at school and stashed them away until Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry.
    There were a lot of mistakes here!
    I always thank you.
    It is difficult for me to use the definite/indefinite articles properly.

    I have a question.

    This line:
    Other colleagues also agreed with her way.

    Should be:
    My colleagues also agreed with her way.

    Question:
    I am going to make the situation clear.
    I would like to write such a situation.
    There are four employee including me in our office.
    One of them told me her suggestion and two of them agreed with her.
    In this case, I think maybe your corrected sentence is a little different from the situation.
    If you have a good idea about this sentence, would you teach me it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kumi-san,

      You are correct, since not all of your colleagues agreed, my correction was inaccurate as it implies that all your colleagues were in agreement, when this was not the case.

      To be more accurate/specific you could reword as:

      Some of my colleagues also agreed with her way. (indicates some but not all people were in agreement)

      Reason: adding some indicates that not all the colleagues were in agreement. Using this type of wording you do not have to keep track of how many colleagues agreed or did not. It can be most of your colleagues or as small as only one.

      Another way of writing it could be:

      The majority of my colleagues also agreed with her way. (more people in agreement than not)

      Reason: Using majority indicates that more people were in agreement than not. Just like using some it also indicates that not everyone was in agreement. You must be careful when using majority because if more people were in disagreement then you would have to use the word minority, example:

      A minority of my colleagues agreed with her way. (more people in disagreement than agreement)

      I hope I have answered the question clearly and that I properly understood the question you asked.

      If this was not clear or not the question you wanted answering then please let me know.

      Delete