12/14/2015

Having vegetables sale!

I wrote about the unmanned fruits and vegetables sale stand in my past entry : http://a-o-j-m.blogspot.jp/2014/11/japanese-conscience-unmanned-sale-stand.html

Our neighbour family are farmers and they sometimes open the unmanned fruits and vegetables sale stand near the nursery school.

When I went to the nursery school to pick my 5-year-old daughter up yesterday, she started crying because she was playing with her classmate and she wanted to play with him more.

"Prepare to go home, your mom is waiting for you!"

Her teacher told her.

"I wanted to play with him more!"

She followed me unwillingly while crying.

My 6-year-old son who was waiting for us in the dark car got angry with her and shouted from the window:

"Too late!"

She cried bitterly.

I needed to calm them down.

"Let's go to the vegetable store! Look! There are a lots of mikan (mandarin orange)!  Wow!

These mikan are 100 yen per bag full!

 Do you understand the meaning?

 You can pack as many of these small mandarin oranges in the plastic bag for 100 yen.
 Do you want to try it?"

"It looks fun! I want to try it!"

He stopped getting angry and she stopped crying, and they enjoyed it very much.

The mandarin oranges were very small but sweet and yummy.

My son and I ate six and my daughter ate 3 and she put one into the freezer.

She likes a frozen mandarin orange very much.

"I am going to eat it for breakfast!"

I also bought a cabbage and a big Japanese radish.

In total the mandarin orange and radish were 300 yen.

How reasonable!

I drew the face on the Japanese radish (^.^).




Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


3 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Excellent article, I wish we could get mikans by the bag for only 100 yen here, I would eat a lot more oranges if they did.

    This line:
    Our neighbour family is a farmer and they sometimes open the unmanned fruits and vegetables sale stand near the nursery school.

    Should be:
    Our neighbouring family are farmers and they sometimes open the unmanned fruits and vegetables sale stand near the nursery school.

    This line:
    "Let's go to the vegetable store! Look! There are a lot of mikan (mandarin orange)! Wow!

    Should be:
    "Let's go to the vegetable store! Look! There are a lots of mikan (mandarin orange)! Wow!

    This line:
    These are as much as you can fit in the plastic bag for only 100 yen!

    More clear as:
    These mikan are 100 yen per bag full!

    This line:
    You can pack these small mandarin oranges in the plastic bag as much as you can, but it is only 100 yen even if you stuff any number of oranges.

    Should be:
    You can pack as many of these small mandarin oranges in the plastic bag for 100 yen.

    This line:
    She likes a frozen mandarin orange very much.

    Question: Is the orange frozen solid or just cooled in the fridge? If is isn't frozen solid but chilled the the sectence would be better written as:
    She likes a chilled mandarin orange very much.

    This line:
    They were only 300 yen including a mandarin orange in total.

    Should probably be:
    In total the mandarin orange and radish were 300 yen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry.

      These two sentence were too difficult for me.
      I couldn't make the sentences like yours.
      I am impressed!:

      These mikan are 100 yen per bag full!
      You can pack as many of these small mandarin oranges in the plastic bag for 100 yen.

      Question: Is the orange frozen solid or just cooled in the fridge?

      Answer : Yes. As a child, we used to eat the frozen mikan for the desert of the school lunch. It is like a mikan sherbet.

      Yummy!

      Delete
  2. Hello Kumi-san,

    The frozen orange sounds like it would be very nice. I will have to try that.

    With reference to the two difficult sentences:

    The sentence:
    These mikan are 100 yen per bag full!

    I should probably have explained that per can mean "for every", so everywhere you see per you can often replace it with for every, for example:

    These mikan are 100 yen for every bag full!

    This sentence:
    You can pack as many of these small mandarin oranges in the plastic bag for 100 yen.

    Can be made slightly simpler:

    You can pack as many small mandarin oranges in the plastic bag for 100 yen.


    Hope this helps a little.

    ReplyDelete