12/17/2015

師走 Shiwasu ~ only two weeks ~

There is one week until Christmas.

Only one week!

I have prepared my children's presents and had hidden them in the closet not to be found by them.

The lights of Christmas tree are broken, so I need to buy new ones.

I asked my husband to place their presents under the Christmas tree at the night of December 24th.

Santa Claus is almost ready.

But, I have not finised preparing for the New Year.

I already cleaned the washroom and the toilet.

But I have too many other places to clean up.

And I have to write New Years cards.

I will write about 50 cards to my relatives and friends.

I feel restless these days.

In Japan, we also call December "Shiwasu" its traditional month name.

We write Shiwasu in kanji as 師走.

I have heard that there are many origins of the words etymology, but I learned it was because even authoritaive school teachers were so busy in Decemver that they had to run around.

It comes from the meaning of kanji, 師 means teacher and 走 means run.

We have only two weeks, but in other words, we have still two weeks.

If I manage them well, two weeks are long enough to finish all things.

I will do my best for the coming the next year!




Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ

3 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Nice article, sounds like it is going to be a very busy seasonal celebration for you and your family. Some of the seasonal decorations you have in Japan are very pretty. I often look at the videos on youtube of Japan when it is near Christmas, it all look very impressive.

    Here are the small issues I found while reading:

    This line:
    I had prepared my children's presents and had hidden them into the closet not to be found by them.

    Should be:
    I have prepared my children's presents and hidden them (in/inside) the closet so as not to be found by them.

    This line:
    The lights of Christmas tree are broken, so I need to buy the new one.

    Should be:
    The lights of Christmas tree are broken, so I need to buy new ones.

    Reason: Even though the lights of the christmas tree are one continous string, when you reference them you do it in plural form when you reference all of the lights.

    For example:

    I bought some christmas tree lights. Unfortunately one of the lights was broken. So I had to buy a new one. (Here you are refering to only one light as the single light is broken, so you say new one.). Because you have to replace the entire collection of lights you would say new ones (because more than one collection of lights have to be replaced).

    This line:
    I asked my husband to place their presents under the Christmas tree at the night of December 24.

    Should be:
    I asked my husband to place their presents under the Christmas tree on the night of December 24th.

    Note: For day of the month values we often add the suffixes st, nd, rd, th. Here is a list of all the numbers with the correct endings (don't worry if the make no sense, it is just something we memorize, they do a similar thing to your Japanese counters for collections of things.):

    1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th 16th 17th 18th 19th 20th 21st 22nd 23rd 24th 25th 26th 27th 28th 29th 30th 31st.

    Note: Also for the date December 24th it is more often called Christmas Eve.

    This line:
    I will write about 50 card to my relatives and friends.

    Should be:
    I will write about 50 cards to my relatives and friends.

    This line:
    In Japan, we also call December "Shiwasu" in the old way.

    Could be rewritten as:
    In Japan, we also call December "Shiwasu" its traditional month name.

    This line:
    We write Shiwasu 師走 in kanji.

    Should be:
    We write Shiwasu in kanji as 師走.

    This line:
    I hear that there are some origins of the word etymology, but I learned it was because even authoritaive school teachers were so busy in Decemver that they had to run around.

    Should be:
    I have heard that there are many origins of the words etymology, but I learned it was because even authoritaive school teachers were so busy in December that they had to run around.

    Note: I have heard it means Priests Running because they are getting ready for New Years celebrations and religeous events that happen then.

    This line:
    It comes the meaning of kanji, 師 means teacher and 走 means run.

    Should be:
    It comes from the meaning of the kanji, 師 means teacher and 走 means run.

    This line:
    We have only two weeks, but still two weeks.

    Unsure how to interpret the line do you mean:
    We have only two weeks, but I need more time?

    This line:
    I will do my best for coming the next year!

    Should be:
    I will do my best for the coming new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry.
      Today's corrections are longer than my post!
      But you notes are very helpful.
      I am really grateful to you.

      This line:
      We have only two weeks, but still two weeks.

      Unsure how to interpret the line do you mean:
      We have only two weeks, but I need more time?


      I tried to change the sentence:

      We have only two weeks, but in other words, we have still two weeks.
      If I manage them well, two weeks are long enough to finish all things.

      Is it clearer?

      Delete