12/27/2015

Happiness depends upon ourselves

We cleaned our house again yesterday, and it was more or less completely cleaned, though I compromised.

I also finished writing New Years cards to my relatives and friends.

I was so tired that I become pessimistic last night.

To tell the truth, I want to stay at home and relax during New Year's holiday with my family because I am usually busy with my work, housework, and taking care of my children, so at least only during the New Year's vacation, I want to relax at home.

My parents in law are very good people, but five days stay at their house is a little long for me.

But they live far from here and they can only see their grandchildren only once a year, so I think it is important that we take them the children to see them.

I believe that it depends on how I see it.

Actually, I have mixed feelings, I am reluctant to visit them, and I also think that it is a rare precious opportunity to thank my parents in law and help them.

I want to become a person who is positive thinking.

I think positive thinking makes my life happier.

I am basically positive, but I often become pessimistic when I am tired.

Since I noticed I was too pessimistic last night, so I slept longer than usual.

Happiness depends upon ourselves.



According to the Chinese zodiac, next year is the year of the monkey.

When we make a draft of the New Year's card, we usually use the illustrations of the zodiac of the year or lucky items like Mt. Fuji, pine, bamboo, plum, seven deities of good luck, and so on.

I tried to make two Japanese-style samples.

 
 
 

Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ


4 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    The card designs sound like a fun activity and I am glad you got the house cleaned that way you wanted.

    Here is a list of some of the issues found in your post:

    This line:
    We cleaned our house again yesterday, and we could more or less finish it though I compromised.

    Should be:
    We cleaned our house again yesterday, it was more or less completely cleaned, though I compromised.

    This line:
    To tell the truth, I want to stay at home and relax during New Year's holiday with my family because I am usually busy for my work, housework, and taking care of my children, so at least only during the New Year's vacation, I want to relax at home.

    Should be:
    To tell the truth, I want to stay at home and relax during New Year's holiday with my family because I am usually busy with my work, housework, and taking care of my children, so at least during the New Year's vacation, I want to relax at home.

    This line:
    But they live far from here and they can't see their grandchildren only once a year, so I think we need to take them to see them.

    Should be:
    But they live far from here and can only see their grandchildren once a year, so I think it is important that we take the children to see them.

    This line:
    Actually, I have both feelings, I am reluctant to visit them, and I also think that it is a rare precious opportunity to thank my parents in law and help them.

    Should be:
    Actually, I have mixed feelings, I am reluctant to visit them, and I also think that it is a rare precious opportunity to thank my parents in law and help them.

    This line:
    I want to become a person who has a positive thinking.

    Should be:
    I want to become a person who is positive thinking.

    Or:
    I like to think positively.

    This line:
    Since I noticed I was too pessimistice last night, so I slept longer than usual.

    Should be:
    Since I noticed I was too pessimistic last night, so I slept longer than usual.

    This line:
    According to oriental zodiac, next year is the year of the monkey.

    Should be:
    According to the Chinese zodiac, next year is the year of the monkey.

    Note: From what I could find on google Oriental Zodiac is not wrong but in English it is more likely to be said as Chinese Zodiac.

    This line:
    When we make a draft of the New Year's card, we usually use the illustrations of the zodiac of the year or lucky items like Mt.Fuji, pine, bamboo, plum, seven deities of good luck, and so on.

    Should be:
    When we make a draft of the New Year's card, we usually use the illustrations of the zodiac of the year or lucky items like Mt. Fuji, pine, bamboo, plum, seven deities of good luck, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry.
      Thank you for your detailed explanations.

      I couldn't make the sentence below like yours because I made the sentence from my direct translation of my Japanese sentence (彼らは年に一度しか孫たちに会えないので).
      I need to think in English.

      This line:
      But they live far from here and they can't see their grandchildren only once a year,

      Should be:
      But they live far from here and can only see their grandchildren once a year,

      Delete
    2. Don't worry about it, it was still obvious what the meaning was even though it had a Japanese word order.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your kind word, Terry!

      Delete