12/18/2015

When on earth will he come home?

My husband attended a year-end party (called "bounenkai" in Japanese) with his coworkers last night.

I asked him not to miss the last train before he left home.


My 5-year-old daughter woke me up at midnight because she wanted me to go to the washroom with her.

I checked the time, it was 2:30am.

My husband hadn't come home yet.

I thought he must have missed the last train.

Furthermore, I noticed that he left his cell phone at home.

I guessed maybe he couldn't call me.

I went back to bed but I was too worried about him to fall asleep again.


He finally came home at 5:45am.

According to him, he fell asleep on the train and he missed the station near our house.

He got off at the second stop.

The station was about 10km away from home.

He looked for a taxi, but he couldn't find one maybe because it was a Friday night.

He had to walk home at midnight.

Yesterday's lowest temperature around here was 3 degrees!

He said:

"It was cold. But since I was walking, I didn't feel so cold. It was nice exercise for me!"

I want him to sleep more in his warm futon (bedding) rather than exercising on cold midnight!

I am a bit tired from a lack of sleep, but I am relieved that he came back safely.

I know he is not a child, but I can't stop worrying in cases like today's situation.



Thank you(^o^) for reading this article!
If you enjoy it, please click these buttons and vote me!
I will be encouraged by you.

にほんブログ村 英語ブログ 英語の日記(英語のみ)へ

3 comments:

  1. Hello Kumi-san,

    Another good article, and congratulations to your husband for walking ten kilometers to get home. I am not sure I would have been so dedicated to such a walk. I do find it slightly strange that a lot of Japanese people worry about walking about at night. Especially given that Japan has the lowest crime rate and safest streets in the world. It could have been a fun walk, I would look at all the shops and seasonal displays.

    Here is the list of small issues found:

    This line:
    My husband attended a year-end party (in Japanese as "bounenkai") with his coworkers last night.

    Should be:
    My husband attended a year-end party (called "bounenkai" in Japanese) with his coworkers last night.

    This line:
    My 5-year-old daughter woke me up in midnight because she wanted me to go to the washroom with her.

    Should be:
    My 5-year-old daughter woke me up at midnight because she wanted me to go to the washroom with her.

    This line:
    According to him, he fell asleep in the train and he missed the station near our house.

    Should be:
    According to him, he fell asleep on the train and he missed the station near our house.

    This line:
    He got off the second stop.

    Should be:
    He got off at the second stop.

    This line:
    He looked for a taxi, but he couldn't find it because maybe it was a Friday night.

    Should be:
    He looked for a taxi, but he couldn't find one (maybe/probably) because it was a Friday night.

    This line:
    He had to walk home in midnight.

    Should be:
    He had to walk home at midnight.

    This line:
    The yesterday's lowest temperature around here was 3 degrees!

    Should be:
    Yesterday's lowest temperature around here was 3 degrees!

    He said:

    This line:
    "It was cold. But since I was walking, I didn't feel so cold. It was a nice exercise for me!"

    Should be:
    "It was cold. But since I was walking, I didn't feel so cold. It was nice exercise for me!"

    This line:
    I want him to sleep more in his warm futon (bedding) rather than to exercise in cold midnight!

    Should be:
    I want him to sleep more in his warm futon (bedding) rather than exercising on a cold midnight!

    This line:
    I am tired a bit from a lack of sleep, but I am relieved that he came back safely.

    Should be:
    I am a bit tired from lack of sleep, but I am relieved that he came back safely.

    This line:
    I know he is not a child, but I can't stop worrying in the case of today's situation.

    Should be:
    I know he is not a child, but I can't stop worrying in cases like today's situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terry.
      Thank you for your help again!
      I might not understand the difference of how to use in and on!

      Why do I worry about walking on midnight?
      Because it is dangerous.
      As you say, I think Japan is a safe country.
      But of course many crimes also occur like phantom killers, street violence against middle-aged men, the worst, murder.
      I don't want my husband to walk outside on midnight (in this article's case, he was walking at 1-5:45am!).
      If we walk aroud the time when the stores are opened, in the urban city, it would be safer.
      But he was walking in the dark country side, and stores were already closed.
      That's why I was worried about him.

      Delete
  2. In, On, It, and At often change their meanings slightly depending on where they are used in a sentence. As far as I know there are no easy grammatical rules to determine which to use. The way I learned and the way that is probably easiest to learn is just to read lots of sentences which show the various ways they can be used.

    Also a lot of people use them in non-standard ways which makes them sound odd, so even if you do get them wrong it often won't stop the sentence from being understood.

    With reference to your husband's night time walk. Yes if you are in the country then that is a different situation.

    ReplyDelete